Tai Chi Fundamentals® (TCF), Tai Chi Prime, and Yang Style Tai Chi Training Courses
- This event has passed.
Course One: TCF Adapted Program Basic Moves Training, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
March 19, 2021 - March 20, 2021
Instructor Patricia Culotti
CEU-Approved for 12 Contact hours
Prerequisites: none. All levels of experience welcome.
Remote training is now available. See below for further details. Brochure and registration links are at the bottom of the page.
Course Description: teaches TCF Adapted Program Basic Moves: Optional Side Support, Walker & Seated versions; introduces all versions of the TCF Short Form Part 1. Features Mind/body Skills training, applications for wellness, & rehab, partner teaching practicums, Includes introduction to the ROM Dance® Program.
At the end of this course, a TCF Program Basic Moves Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants who have demonstrated ability to teach Basic Moves. Course qualifies as partial contact hours fulfillment for TCF Instructor Certification.
1) Learn all three versions of TCF Adapted Program Basic Moves.
2) Teach all versions of TCF Adapted Program Basic Moves.
3) Describe TCF’s rationale, biomechanics & functional benefits.
4) Lead Centering, Breathing and Posture Awareness exercises.
5) Practice TCF Adapted Program Short Form, Part One
The Tai Chi Fundamentals Adapted Program is an adaptable, accessible program for learning tai chi. Suitable for individuals with a wide range of abilities, it includes instruction in three versions: Standing with Optional Side Support, Walker Support and Seated. All program elements can be modified to accommodate individual needs.
Program Elements: All movements are taught in a motor development progression and have been modified for practice with optional side support, walker support and seated. All 3 versions include:
– Basic Moves: a series of exercises that trains postural alignment, body mechanics and energetic components of tai chi. Designed as building blocks for learning tai chi, they are taught in a simple-to-complex progression with discrete, measurable increments in difficulty and have applications as assessment and intervention tools.
– Tai Chi Fundamentals Short Form: a flowing sequence of tai chi movements based in Yang Style tai chi and adapted from the original Tai Chi Fundamentals® Form.
– Mind/Body Skills Training: integrated into both Basic Moves and Short Form instruction. Fosters attention and focus, a calm observant state of mind, awareness of posture and breathing and physical relaxation. Characteristic of all traditional tai chi practice, Mind/Body Skills training helps foster the cultivation of healthy qi or vital energy.
Development: in 2014 by Tricia Yu, MA based on the need for a program that is easier to learn than the original TCF program and that includes modifications for standing with support and seated applications.
The TCF Program has been featured in: PT Journal, Journal of Rehab Management, The Gerontologist, APTA’s GeriNotes, Medline Plus, Topics in Geriatric Rehabilitation. Journal of Asian Martial Arts, Wellness Program Management Advisor, American College of Sports Medicine’s Health and Fitness Journal, Massage & Bodywork.
1. This course is only being offered on Zoom.
2. Participant is required to have the ability to connect to the course via a computer with a camera & microphone so that they can be seen and heard as well as being able to see the instruction. Participants must clear their schedule to participate via Zoom at the required times.
3. All participants are required to have the appropriate materials available when joining the course. (Both TCF Adapted Program book and the Tai Chi Fundamentals Adapted Program 3-DVD Set.)
4. Everyone will receive detailed instructions, in a timely manner, after registration and payment for the course is received.
5. Zoom links will be provided for virtual participants within the week before the course.
Click the file name below to download and print a PDF containing further details:
Registration form for this Course: