Tai Chi Fundamentals® (TCF), Tai Chi Prime, and Yang Style Tai Chi Training Courses
- This event has passed.
Course One: TCF Adapted Program Basic Moves Training – 12 Hours
March 10 - March 11
Instructor: Patricia Culotti or Rachel Sandretto
CEU-Approved for 12 Contact hours
Prerequisites: None. All levels of experience welcome.
Format: This Course will be held in hybrid format. You may attend in person or via Zoom.
Cost: Base cost without required materials: $390.
Course Description: Teaches TCF Adapted Program Basic Moves: Optional Side Support, Walker & Seated versions; introduces all versions of the TCF Short Form Part 1. Features Mind/body Skills training, applications for wellness, & rehab, partner teaching practicums, Includes introduction to the ROM Dance® Program. See the flyer below for the full schedule for this training.
At the end of this course, a TCF Program Basic Moves Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants who have demonstrated ability to teach Basic Moves. Course qualifies as partial contact hours fulfillment for TCF Instructor Certification.
1) Learn all three versions of TCF Adapted Program Basic Moves.
2) Teach all versions of TCF Adapted Program Basic Moves.
3) Describe TCF’s rationale, biomechanics & functional benefits.
4) Lead Centering, Breathing and Posture Awareness exercises.
5) Practice TCF Adapted Program Short Form, Part One
The Tai Chi Fundamentals Adapted Program is an adaptable, accessible program for learning tai chi. Suitable for individuals with a wide range of abilities, it includes instruction in three versions: Standing with Optional Side Support, Walker Support and Seated. All program elements can be modified to accommodate individual needs.
Program Elements: All movements are taught in a motor development progression and have been modified for practice with optional side support, walker support and seated. All 3 versions include:
– Basic Moves: a series of exercises that trains postural alignment, body mechanics and energetic components of tai chi. Designed as building blocks for learning tai chi, they are taught in a simple-to-complex progression with discrete, measurable increments in difficulty and have applications as assessment and intervention tools.
– Tai Chi Fundamentals Short Form: a flowing sequence of tai chi movements based in Yang Style tai chi and adapted from the original Tai Chi Fundamentals® Form.
– Mind/Body Skills Training: integrated into both Basic Moves and Short Form instruction. Fosters attention and focus, a calm observant state of mind, awareness of posture and breathing and physical relaxation. Characteristic of all traditional tai chi practice, Mind/Body Skills training helps foster the cultivation of healthy qi or vital energy.
Development: in 2014 by Tricia Yu, MA based on the need for a program that is easier to learn than the original TCF program and that includes modifications for standing with support and seated applications.
The TCF Program has been featured in: PT Journal, Journal of Rehab Management, The Gerontologist, APTA’s GeriNotes, Medline Plus, Topics in Geriatric Rehabilitation. Journal of Asian Martial Arts, Wellness Program Management Advisor, American College of Sports Medicine’s Health and Fitness Journal, Massage & Bodywork.
Flyer with complete schedule details coming soon.